We've done it! Well, 1/4 of it. The Cheesies team are 1 week into their Keto month, and it hasn't been easy.
We've set up a WhatsApp group to motivate each other which has been super helpful as you realise how important community is when you're trying to stay on track.
After one last carb binge last Sunday, the team have gone all into the Keto diet. Carb counting apps have been downloaded and nuts have been purchased, here is some of the highlights from this week.
Cheesies are a LIFE SAVER. Yes they really are, day 1 and we really struggled to find a shop that provided any Keto snacks, and so we were thankful that we have endless supplies of Cheesies (yes, that's definitely a perk of the job).
Here are some of the dishes that were cooked up this week:
A great breakfast or lunch, which was nice and filling. Maddy is an intermmitted faster and said that this fry-up she made was "the perfect filler" and "felt like a real treat". Maddy also didn't have ketchup with her eggs in the first time in forever, and she loved them, "the yolk was so delicious, it was almost better than using a sauce like tomato ketchup"
A FRUIT SUPRISE
Anamaria (who likes to match her nail colour to her favourite Cheesies, Emmental) treated herself to a small portion of greek yogurt and a couple of berries. This was an afternoon snack that Anamaria said "was yummy and added that little sweetness to my day that I had been missing".
THE WINNER - MURRAY'S BAKED EGGS
Murrays dish was voted winner amongst the group this week, we were impressed with both the look of the dish and were all envious about how filling it looked. Murray described this dish as "gorgeous, especially the feta sprinkled on top". Check out the recipe and method here👇
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 Smoked Chorizo Sausage, diced
- ½ teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of Cumin, ground
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup of Roasted Peppers, sliced
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 1 pinch of Pepper
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 ounces of Manchego Cheese, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon of Parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Place the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the diced chorizo, paprika and cumin and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the chorizo is cooked through.
- Add the diced tomato and continue to cook until the tomatoes are very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted peppers, salt, and pepper and mix through.
- Take the pan off the heat and evenly spread the mixture into 2 oven-safe dishes.
- Make a hole in the center of the mixture and crack one egg into each dish.
- Sprinkle over the manchego cheese and parsley.
- Place the dishes into the oven for 5-10 minutes until the egg is cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Well that's week 1 down, now we have to resist the temptation of takeaways and chocolate that are normally enjoyed at the weekend.
Look out for next weeks blog, where we will be looking at what alcoholic drinks you can drink on Keto.
The (kind of hungry) Cheesies Team