Our mate @_stephygee_ over on Instagram creates KILLER recipes and this is no exception. Spice your Macaroni Cheese with Chilli Cheddar Cheesies which creates the ULTIMATE crunchy topping.
What you'll need (serves 4):
- 2 tbsp butter, plus 1 tbsp melted
- 350g macaroni or penne pasta
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 250g Cheddar, grated
- 50g parmesan
- 1 x 20g packet of Chilli Cheddar Cheesies
- OPTIONAL: Crispy bacon & red pepper for topping
1. Get your pasta cooking but slightly undercook it. 2 minutes below the packet instructions will do perfectly. Drain well. In the meantime, melt your butter in a large saucepan. Add your finely chopped garlic & mustard powder and then cook for 1 minute. Stir in the plain flour.
2. Cook this mixture for 1 minute. Now it's time to get whisking. Gradually add your milk, whisking the entire time, to the flour mixture. Keep going until combined until you have a lump-free sauce. Keep this on a simmer for 5 mins, whisking all the time until thickened. Take your sauce off the heat, then stir in the cheddar and half the parmesan.
3. Mix your cooked pasta into the sauce and add some seasoning. Tip into a large ovenproof dish, or four individual dishes.
4. Top with Cheesies and the remaining parmesan (and the optional bacon & peppers if you want to), then bake for 20 mins until crisp and golden.
Make sure to tag us at @snackcheesies in your cooking creations, as we almost certainly want to drool over them.