And we celebrated with...
It hasn't been easy but the Cheesies team have completed their 2nd week of the 1 month Keto challenge. At the beginning of the team Challenge we asked...
And here are the fantastic responses we received back from you:
- "Electrolytes!! Keep hydrated."
- "Get your first week out of the way, and it's plain sailing from then... good luck."
- "Keep it simple to start. Work out what meals fit the macros and start with just repeating them."
- "Keep it simple!"
- "Watch out for the hidden sugars in sauces and packet meals."
- "Salt as much food as you can."
- "Don't take it as a diet just enjoy it, eat keto pizza, celeriac fries, Cheesies, meats."
- "Weigh everything, protein is a goal, fat is for satiety, and carbs are a hard limit!"
- "Drinks lots of water! Himalayan salt and pickles will be your best friends on Keto."
Your advice has been very informative, it helped the Cheesies team understand that hydration is important, and that weighing 'treats' are a good way to stay on track, and within daily carb intake (although, no need to weigh Cheesies, as they are carb free).
One thing we were missing, was something sweet. And so, Anamaria got busy in the kitchen to create a birthday cake for Maddy's birthday.
Check out the delicious Keto Red Velvet cake recipe below (psst. we realised half way through devouring this cake that the sprinkles were not Keto, but as it was a celebration, we let that one slip😝).
(For the cake)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup erythritol powdered
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup softened coconut oil
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring in powder or 1oz. Of gel food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
(For the icing)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
Preheat the oven to 180 and grease a cake pan with some butter.
Cream butter until smooth. Then add the eggs, coconut oil, and heavy cream. Make sure to blend well until everything is properly mixed.
In a separate bowl, mix together, almond flour, cocoa, and baking powder until combined. Mix this either with a fork or a whisk.
Then add the dry ingredients a little at a time to the wet ingredients, blending with a hand mixer until blended well.
Add vanilla and red food colouring and stir until well combined.
Pour the batter into a cake pan or two pans and bake for 30 minutes.
Now, let’s make the frosting.
To make your frosting beat the frosting ingredients until fluffy. Place aside.
Remove the cake from the oven. If you baked a single cake, cool it and then cut it in half crosswise. If you baked two cakes, remove the cakes from the pan and cool.
Once the cake or cakes have been cooled, go ahead and spread some of the frosting over one layer.
Top the second cake layer with frosting and continue until you’ve covered the entire cake with frosting.
Recipe Source: OhSoFoodie.com
And Anamaria's cake was enjoyed with a nice G 'n' T (the recommended Keto alchoholic drink).
If you decide to make this recipe, don't forget to tag us so we can see your creations, and keep your Keto tips and tricks coming in as the team will definitely need them going into the last two weeks of the challenge.
If you haven't read our previous Cheesies Keto Challenge blog posts, you can find them here.
The Cheesies Team